Thanks Ari!

I'd forgotten to try using the "open" command. I'm using jEnv to manage
JDKs and it doesn't set JAVA_HOME, so the "open" command fails. Turns out
you need to do this:

jenv exec open /path/to/CayenneModeler.app

The exec option does some PATH magic putting the currently selected JDK at
the front and then it works.