Hi Pepijn,

Good Idea - separating documentation into a dedicated
git repo could give us more flexibility e.g of the organization
of the docs which in turn will help users to pick it up more easily.
So definitely no objections from my side.

Anyway, I wanted to point you to hugo[1] as an alternative
to jekyll. Saying this, I  should mention that I do not have any
experience with jekyll, but I really like hugo for it's simplicity.

So maybe your student wants to give it a try as well.

Regards,
  Bjoern

[1] https://gohugo.io/