Everyone,

Since Apache now grants write access to GitHub repos I think
it's time to drop Jira as issue tracker and move our issue management
to GitHub issues.

GitHub issues supports:
- Labels, which we can use to determine the type of an issue (e.g.
a 'bug' or 'enhancement')
- Milestones, which we can use to connect issues and PRs to releases.
- Attachments, it goes without a saying that this is still a feature we want
to use. E.g. to attach a log file or a screen shot to an issue.
- Project boards to show the state of an issue (e.g. 'In Progress').

All the GitHub repos are configured so notifications about new issues,
comments, etc. (including edits) are emailed to our mailing list so full
audit
history is still preserved.

I think this will help a lot with user friendliness and reduce the barrier
to contribution (a contributor only needs a GitHub account to respond
to issues and/or create PRs).

If there are no objections to that, next steps will include:

1. Opening an INFRA ticket to enable GitHub issues for our GitHub
repositories

2. Updating all the references to Jira on our website and documentation.
This includes documenting the new GitHub flow for contributors and
committers

3. Making the Jira project read-only, creating GitHub issues for open Jira
issues
and direct people to our GitHub repo and contribution docs.

Best regards,
Roy