On 3/19/13 2:23 AM, "Murali Reddy" <murali.re...@citrix.com> wrote:

>On 19/03/13 4:08 AM, "Chiradeep Vittal" <chiradeep.vit...@citrix.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Thanks for this. I'd like to note that there is no evidence that AWS
>>maintains a separate pool of "Elastic Public IP" and "Ephemeral Public
>>IP". If we drop this phantom construct, then the feature is greatly
>>simplified
>> - there are not 2 workflows to acquire a persistent public ip
>> - there are no additional APIs
>> - the only thing that needs to be done is to move the public ip resource
>>to the region level from the zone level
>
>Chiradeep, thanks for your feedback. I agree to that fact that there is no
>evidence that AWS maintains a separate pool of "Elastic Public IP" and
>"Ephemeral Public IP". I don't have operational insights of datacenter
>network infra, I would imagine data centre edge routers will advertise
>subnets typically. It does not seem trivial to move a public IP across
>data centres, hence the 'phantom construct' :)

Rather than guessing, I'd say that the feature "requires" the ability of
the routing infrastructure to move individual /32 across data centers.

BGP AS do not advertise /32 outside (their BGP peers wouldn't accept
them), so the provider has to control it inside their AS -- which means
that all zones have to belong to the same AS.

>Can you please elaborate what you meant by "move the public ip resource to
>the region level from the zone level"? Are you suggesting that public IP
>that are configured at zone level today to be a resource at region level?
>which means that current deployments with more than one datacenter with
>their respective public IP address pool per zone will be migrated to a
>single public IP address pool at region level? If region level public IP
>pool/subnet is allocated to instances across multiple zones, the IP
>address allocation is scattered then how does routing will work? If
>CloudStack just assumes that public IP (non RFC 1918) can be
>moved/allocated across the zones, then (irrespective of EIP service is
>enabled or not) we have can public IP pools configured at region level.
>But question is, is it a fair assumption?

As I said, the use of the feature (enabled a region level) requires the
routing infrastructure to handle these moves. If they cannot, then they do
not get this feature.