Alex,

It seems appropriate to me to use both rebase and squashed commits.
To my way of thinking, we should rebase when syncing features branches
with master (or the eventual target branch) to keep the revision
history of the eventual patch as concise as possible.  We should merge
from feature branches to master (or the appropriate target branch)
using a squashed commit to properly record the history if adding the
feature to the branch in a coherent manner.

Those are my thoughts,
-John