I take some blame for assigning the defects but intent was to get issues
(mostly blockers and critical) resolved  faster and not to exclude anyone.  The
issues were assigned based on our list of component maintainers at [1]. Noah
thanks for clarifying that the triaging may exclude new contributors.

Can I propose that whoever wants to contribute in fixing defects for a specific
module add their name as maintainer of  that module in component maintainer
list [1]? And we update how to contribute wiki on this process .

During 4.1  there are a large number of major issues that as community we ended
up not addressing and given that number of unassigned issues is high % should
we consider auto-assign based on the maintainers list? This is still not
optimal since auto-assign will go to primary maintainer and secondary
maintainers still need to pull in defects  but is better than one person
triaging defects.

I also wanted to find out how do other projects get through resolving blocker
bugs sooner?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Current+Maintainers+Per+Component