-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.child...@sungard.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 10:18 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: Alena Prokharchyk
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] - Deletion of Users within the Admin account

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 04:31:41PM +0000, Pranav Saxena wrote:
> HI,
>
> Do we allow deletion of users created by the admin within the admin account ?
> Currently if we  see the UI (4.1 /master) and create a User within the admin
> account you won't be able to delete any user . Now when you create a user ,
> its account type is 1 , account is Admin and domain is ROOT . With this in
> mind ,  how do you distinguish between the system generated Admin user and a
> manual generated user .
>
> Also  , the delete User API if invoked for the admin himself will delete the
> admin account leading to a big problem , since the admin won't be able to
> login to the UI as his credentials will be deleted from the db.  So first of
> all we should have a check at the API layer to disallow such an action .
>
> Next , If I need to put a check at the UI layer to hide/show delete options ,
> what would be the right conditions needed to be checked to distinguish
> between the system generated user and admin generated manual users ?
>
> Thanks,
> Pranav

Is this discussion tied to CLOUDSTACK-1941?
[Pranav] - yes , it is

Is the current state of 4.1 and master a change in behaviour from 4.0.0?
[Pranav] - I didn't check 4.0 but the behavior in 4.1 and master seem to be
exactly the same .

If it isn't a change, I'd like to propose that we set the fix version to
4.2.0 at a minimum.  Pending the outcome of this discussion thread, perhaps it
will be closed with "won't fix", or perhaps it gets fixed.
[Pranav] - Since the bug was marked as Critical for 4.1 , we can fix it in both
. It is definitely an API bug which needs to be fixed as admin account should
not be allowed to be deleted . Moreover from the UI perspective , I need a
condition to distinguish between the two types of users to showcase delete
options on the UI accordingly.

If it *is* a change, can we implement a fix that restores past behaviour as a
first step?
[Pranav] - I believe , it should be a "demanding" change if at all 4.0 is also
having a similar behavior ( which I am not sure of right now) since
conceptually and technically we should not be following the current behavior in
any version .

-chip