Thanks Sebastian for checking in with me.

It turned out that I or one of my jenkins users switched-
encode.api.response in global settings from false to true

This caused all that garbled output. Once we set it back and performed a reboot of the management server, we were back in business.

What is the purpose of encode.api.response ? I found no documentation on it's use/functionality.

Thanks again to everyone on the lists for the assistance!
-jason