Mike,

If you're using the default eclipse, it's very likely that your eclipse is
using a much lower memory requirement.  I'm not sure when you run within
eclipse, if it's the same jvm or a different jvm.  If it's the same jvm, you
need to change eclipse to have more memory.

You should be able to check by doing ps on your machine and see if two jvms are
running.

--Alex