Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the project "Create a cloud in a box using DevCloud".

I'm a MS student at IIIT-Hyderabad. I've good experience with Python, Bash,
openstack, Xen/KVM and automation(chef/puppet).

As per my discussion with Sebastien, my understanding is that the project
aims to extend devcloud to provision multiple instances of devcloud
appliances for simulating more realistic production environments.

While installing devcloud, I realized that for setting up more complex
environments with multiple hosts and clusters, the procedure is too manual.
So, for this project we certainly need a command line utility to automate
installation and configurations.

I’m a little uncertain about ‘simulating production environments’. I see
this happening in two ways.

*1.* Developers still use their development system to host complete cloud.
Of course, in this case it would be multiple virtual box instances running
devcloud and a management server running on the host itself. For this
scenario, the command line utility can automate the setup. .e.g

*$ devcloud --deploy management-server    # deploy management server on
local system
$ devcloud --deploy host -n 2 --provider=virtualbox        # deploy two
hosts on virtualbox
*

The utility will download the updated source from git and install the
management server. The hosts will be provisioned through the devcloud
virtual box appliance or KVM image.

*2. *Developers have a set of physical machines where they plan to host
cloudstack. In this case, hosts won’t be running on virtualbox/kvm, but
physical machines. A deployment scenario here would look like.

*$* devcloud --deploy mangement_server -H 10.0.0.3 -u root -p pass
*$* devcloud --deploy host -H 10.0.0.4,10.0.0.5 -u root -p pass2
--hypervisor=xen

Here, the utility will log into the specified machines and configure them
accordingly <http://rohityadav.in/logs/devcloud/>. No virtual appliance
will be involved.

I kindly request you to share your views regarding my approach and your
expectations for this project.

Thanks and Regards,
Pulkit Singhal