Hi all,

I’d like to add Linux native VXLAN support on KVM hypervisor.

Currently, advanced zone with VLAN isolation can hold only 4k networks (=
accounts) in a zone due to the VLAN ID limitation.
4k accounts per zone is not enough for IaaS provider like us.
Furthermore, VPC will allow single account to consume multiple networks.

Linux kernel 3.7 or later supports VXLAN as part of its ordinal networking
function.
VXLAN enable Layer 2 tunneling over UDP/IP with VLAN-like encapsulation and
allow 16M isolated networks in the domain.
So, by using linux native VXLAN support, we can extend network limits without
introducing unnecessary complexity.
(But in other words, it’s not as flexible as Open vSwitch. Only thing Linux
native VXLAN provides is multipoint L2 tunneling.)

Any thoughts about this?

P.S.

I’m currently working on this as my internship project.
As proof of concept, I’ve modified “modifyvlan.sh” script which is actual VLAN
create/delete manipulation script called from cloud-agent, to create and to use
VXLAN interface instead of VLAN interface.
Modified script is tested with CloudStack 4.0.1 and 3 KVM hypervisors based on
CentOS 6.4 + 3.8.6 kernel.
And it looks working. (But I’m still testing)

P.S.2.

FYI: OpenStack already started process [1] to support Linux native VXLAN.
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26516/

Best Regards,
--
Toshiaki Hatano
Verio, an NTT Communications company

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been
sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If
you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you
are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio Inc. makes no
warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.