I tested with Vmware today and found few issues:

1. Code to handle new VmWare template as per release notes is missing.

I fixed this in master and submitted patch for 4.1. Patch request [1]
Fix should go into 4.0 branch as well.

2.  MS failed to start after upgrading with error:

Starting cloudstack-management: sed: can't read
/usr/share/cloudstack-management/conf/server.xml: No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat6: line 191: /var/log/cloudstack-management/initd.log:
No such file or directory
Error code 4                                               [FAILED]

Filed bug: CLOUDSTACK-2440

3. Ran into CLOUDSTACK-2064 while restarting SSVM after upgrade. I had to
manually change permissions for cloud user to make it work.

With the fix and workarounds ,  SSVM started without any issues and the routes
were are also setup.

 [1] https://reviews.apache.org/r/11042/