From: Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:40 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: VMware API Question

Hi,

I recently completed work in the new storage framework related to XenServer
where I dynamically create a storage repository when attaching a newly created
volume, if need be.

I now need to implement the same concept for VMware.

The idea is that I have zone-wide primary storage that is backed by a plug-in
(all new in 4.2).

When the user creates a volume, we still just add a row to the volumes table
that describes this volume.

When the user goes to attach this volume to a VM, the storage framework invokes
my plug-in and my plug-in goes off to its SAN to create a volume...returning
info like IQN.

Next the VMware attach logic is invoked. In this dynamic kind of zone-wide
storage, I need to detect in this VMware code that we do not yet have a
datastore and create this datastore based on the IQN I returned earlier (and
other info like IP address).

I have this all working for XenServer and am now turning my attention to VMware.

My question is simply this:

It looks like VmwareResourse is written with VI SDK. Since I have my
"create/delete datastore" logic already written in the VI Java API (
http://vijava.sourceforge.net/), I was wondering if it's possible to mix these
two approaches or if I will have to re-write my code.

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com