To delve into this in a bit more detail:

Prior to 4.2 and aside from one setup method for XenServer, the admin had
to first create a volume on the storage system, then go into the hypervisor
to set up a data structure to make use of the volume (ex. a storage
repository on XenServer or a datastore on ESX(i)). VMs and data disks then
shared this storage system's volume.

With Edison's new storage framework, storage need no longer be so static
and you can easily create a 1:1 relationship between a storage system's
volume and the VM's data disk (necessary for storage Quality of Service).

You can now write a plug-in that is called to dynamically create and delete
volumes as needed.

The problem that the storage framework did not address is in creating and
deleting the hypervisor-specific data structure when performing an
attach/detach.

That being the case, I've been enhancing it to do so. I've got XenServer
worked out and submitted. I've got ESX(i) in my sandbox and can submit this
if we extend the 4.2 freeze date.

Does that help a bit? :)

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com