"Just to clarify my understanding, multiple CloudStack volumes can be
stored on a single SAN volume.  If so, how does the Management Server
determine when to create a SAN volume?"

This might be where we're missing each other. :)

A main purpose for Edison's storage framework changes were to enable a
single CloudStack volume to reside by itself on a single SAN volume.
Quality of Service (Qos) features like SolidFire's (and those of other
storage vendors) require this 1:1 mapping. That way you can tune the SAN
volume's IOPS and guarantee that the one and only data disk using that SAN
volume (the CloudStack volume) has the proper QoS characteristics. If you
share a single SAN volume among more than one CloudStack volume, you can
suffer from the "Noisy Neighbor" problem, which is what QoS aimes to solve.

So, in short:

One SAN volume (meaning one LUN) is mapped to one and only CloudStack
volume.