On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:53:37AM -0400, Han,Meng wrote:

> >You can run all the management server code from your laptop as a
> >development environment and add an external hypervisor host (Either
> >Xen/KVM) to it. The guests, system VMs etc will then be deployed on
> >your host and not eat up any memory on your laptop. Management server
> >does require quite a bit of memory to run and having Hypervisor +
> >Management server + storage + kitchen sink will slow it down (unless
> >you just need devcloud).
>
> I will add another hypervisor host. Is there any network requirement
> for the management server and hypervisor host?
>
> May I know how does the management server know the hypervisor host
> and include it to its management?

That's what CloudStack is for. It 'discovers' the hypervisor through
its discoverers - XenDisoverer talks to XAPI to manage Xenservers, KVM
talks via SSH/libvirt and VmWare talks through the vmware SDK. It's
all abstracted so you don't have to understand the mechanics of what's
going on underneath.

Your hypervisor host needs to be prepared with the
OS+hypervisor-software of your choice. It will need to have one NIC
that the management server (your laptop) can reach. You will need some
storage (NFS) where you can pre-seed the systemVM template which is
used to launch service VMs that cloudstack uses for management
purposes.

All this and more is in the installation guide - let us know if
there's anything missing and you haven't been able to figure out about
the installation.

Cool! Do you mind updating the wiki @
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+to+build+on+master+branch

> The command "mvn -pl :cloud-client-ui jetty:run" gives me a
> error:[INFO] Couldn't find specified project dir:
> /home/meng/cloudstack/:cloud-client-ui
>
> I notice that there is no cloud-client-ui directory under
> cloudstack. So I switched to "mvn -pl client jetty:run", however it
> told me the maven-jetty-plugin does not exist.

Yes, client will work.

> [INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jetty'.
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jetty-plugin' does
> not exist or no valid version could be found
>
> Any light on this?

Odd, the jetty plugin should be downloaded automatically from
repo.maven.org. If your mvn clean install step worked I'm guessing
you're not behind any sort of http_proxy?

--
Prasanna.,