Yes and No:)
Yes, as all the hypervisors(KVM/Vmware/Xenserver) still need NFS in 4.2, even
S3 is used as the place to store templates.
No, we make NFS is optional, if you don't want to use NFS. E.g the HyperV
implementation will not depend on NFS.

In 4.3, we can start work on the hypervisor side refactor, to eliminate the
dependence on NFS as much as possible, then we may can truly make the statement
that, S3 will be the "secondary storage".