Chip,
The reason makes sense technically, since you have 0 usage for the
environment at that point.  Until there is actual usage, it will never
trigger a threshold that would cause a scaling event.

Looking at this from a user's perspective, I actually don't see an issue
with this implementation.  Does anyone know how AWS reacts in this
scenario?
Fair enough, but I would assume that if you configure the autoscaling with a minimum instance (say 1), CS should do all the necessary steps to be able to spin that minimum. So if the network is not in an implemented state, CS should make the necessary to put it into an implemented state. That's my thoughts as a user ;)

--
Francois Gaudreault
fgaudrea...@cloudops.com