John,

The generic properties would fit the bill for a vendor that just wants to
provide the metadata and let the traditional primary-storage workflow take its
course.  But, a form with additional fields may not be enough for a particular
implementation, so having the flexibility to display a custom UI is was what I
was going for.  That the generic properties bag is available in the end to
driver operations, that's great, but that will be consumed in a deeper layer
than the UI.  A vendor should be given a bit of freedom on how those properties
are gathered.

David La Motta
Technical Marketing Engineer
Citrix Solutions

NetApp
919.476.5042
dlamo...@netapp.com<mailto:dlamo...@netapp.com>

On Jul 12, 2013, at 12:55 PM, John Burwell