I had an offline conversation with Chiradeep to sort this out.

Provided the latest SystemVM code is built, there's no difficulty.  E.g. using
"mvn clean install -P developer,systemvm"
See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+to+build+on+master+branch

That said, our instructions elsewhere, and for newbies in particular, are
different.  I'm not sure what to do about that.

DL