Mike,

If you constantly encounter this error in a fresh VMware API session, you
need to check the parameter you passed into the API call. You may need to
look at ESX host log file to get more specific info about the failure.

If VMware session has been idle for some time, you may encounter some
random exception like this as well. In 4.2 branch, to support parallel
deployment, we've switched to a pool based VMware API management, there is
a session keep-alive mechanism built in, please help check if the error is
related to session timeout

Kelven