I've been reading over the storage code and have come to the conclusion that the async aspects of the storage framework should be removed.

Whenever one introduces an async pattern you have to give a lot of consideration to its use, benefits, and impact. Within the context of ACS and given the current state of its code, I do not think it will be possible to realize any benefits of the current callback approach. Since nothing else in ACS uses callbacks, all of the async methods are essentially wrapped in synchronous calls. So nothing as it stands is actually async.

Besides the current implementation, you need to conciser how you would expect an implementation of the storage framework to use the callback. The problem with callbacks is that they assume some in memory state. This means if the process/server crashes that state is lost. Many will say just serialize the callback to the DB, but that is very impractical.

Since ACS doesn't actually stand in the data path, an async pattern won't really even allow it to have better performance. ACS is just waiting for some storage operation to happen. ACS can easily spawn 1000 threads and have them all wait. If you were to get to this point, you'd find that downstream you'll most likely have issues as you have 1000 create template operations so its killing your filer. So you will throttle storage operations to a level that won't kill your infrastructure and that level is no where near the scalability limits of threads.

The callbacks pattern really complicates the code and I see no real benefit. Instead of spending a lot of effort trying to make all of ACS async to make it beneficial, I'd say that effort should be spent on making ACS idempotent and crash-only. The point being, there's more beneficial things we can do with our time.

Given that only solidfire implements the new framework (and ACS legacy too), I would assume its a simple things for Edison to just go and quickly change it non-async.

Darren