I would like to raise for discussion the idea of adding a couple methods to the
Storage Subsystem API interface. Currently, takeSnapshot() and revertSnapshot()
only support single VM volumes. We have a use case for snapshotting multiple VM
volumes at the same time. For us, it is more efficient to snapshot them all at
once rather than snapshot VM Volumes individually and this seems like a more
elegant solution than queueing the requests within our plugin.

Base on my investigation, this should require:
-Two additional API to be invoked from the UI
-Two additional methods added to the Storage Subsystem API interface
-Changes in between the API level and invoking the Storage Subsystem API
implementations (I know this is broad and vague), mainly around the
SnapshotManger/Impl

There are a couple topics we would like discussion on:
-Would this be beneficial/detrimental/neutral to other storage providers?
-How should we handle the addition of new methods to the Storage Subsystem API
interface? Default them to throw an UnsupportedOperationException? Default to
calling the single VM volume version multiple times?
-Does anyone see any issues with allowing multiple snapshots to be taken at the
same time or letting storage providers have a list of all the requested volumes
to backup?

Please let me know if I've missed any major topics for discussion or if
anything needs clarification.

Thanks,
Chris
--