From: "Christopher SuichII" <chris.su...@netapp.com>
To: "<dev@cloudstack.apache.org>" <dev@cloudstack.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 10:27:29 AM
Subject: Scalable Backup and Recovery

I'd like to start a discussion around the direction of scalable backup and
recovery in CloudStack. Currently, the only want to backup and recover vms is
by setting up a schedule or manually snapshotting up individual vm disks or
manually snapshotting vms. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is a very
scalable solution. What if a user wants all of their vm disks to be backed up
on the same schedule? What if a domain administrator wants all of the vms in
their domain to be backed up on the same schedule or to manually backup every
vm in their domain?

Here are some use cases I see for helping to scale things up:
-Scheduled and manual backup of 1 to all of a user's vms and vm disks
-Scheduled and manual backup of 1 to all of a domain's vms and vm disks (by a
domain admin)
-Scheduled and manual backup of 1 to all vms and vm disks on primary storage
(by a cloud admin) - this one is tougher to find a valid use case for
-Backup schedules attached to service offerings

I know I previously started a discussion about backing up multiple vm disks at
once, but I think these use cases, broken down by user type (user, domain admin
and admin), should help clear things up and show the utility of being able to
backup multiple objects at once.

Thanks!
Chris
--