I just went back through the release guide an nowhere could I find any mention
of the template upgrade and workaround process for KVM host based CloudStack
upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2. I also took a look through the troubleshooting
section. I might just be missing it, but using the steps in the guide for a
second time I was able to perfectly replicate the broken system VMs.

I also read the mail chain, and it does mention needing to register the new
template but from a user perspective it does not mention how. And that email
thread is quite possible obscure for many of our current users.

I am not trying to criticize, only express from a user perspective that this
information is not globally known or accessible. And based on a couple of days
on irc working with others in this situation it was quite prevalent that no one
knew of this information outside the development circle. I can copy my blog
post into a wiki article but the release docs do need some form of bold entry
3.1 in the 4.2 release docs explaining the process of upgrading and registering
the new template. This would limit much confusion in the user circle.

I myself I must admit do not know how to do the .java upgrade process as I have
never really worked with .java files before or that aspect of ACS. If someone
had the time to jot down a verbose how-to, it would be really helpful.

This is the only steps I have found:

(1) register a new template (such as systemvmtemplate-4.2) on UI or in
Upgrade*.java file
(2) Change template type from User to System in Upgrade*.java file.
(3) cloud-install-sys-tmplt download the systemvm template
(4) cloudstack-sysvmadm re-deploy systemvms

The first two steps are slightly ambiguous assuming the user has done this sort
of activity before.

Thanks all!

-Kelcey