I like the concept of a health check before launching tests. But it's
a difficult distinction to make whether to run a specific test because
its required hardware component/external dependency is not
available/not ready in the deployment OR have the test ensure that the
deployment is suitable for its run.

So our current health check only ensures two things
- SystemVMs are up and running
- Default Templates are 'Ready' in the system

Take the example of LDAP here that you quoted. In such a case I'd
prefer that the test itself check for the deployment guarantees
without pushing that to the framework or the deployment scripts to
decipher.

There is a counter case - some tests use the netaddr module to do
subnet arithmetic. For these to run we need to ensure the virtualenv
under which the test module runs contains netaddr. This is something
that can be ensured by the deployment scripts.

So this is a question of guidelines to test authors on what to expect
and what not to expect when writing a test. Also how to have the
dependencies added automatically before the test gets executed. I
don't see a one-size-fits-all solution.

--
Prasanna.,