I think that's an acceptable middle ground. I would prefer to have the
artifacts to test the upgrade procedures with and with a designated committer
to review, commit and release the docs as progress is made we should all be
able to call this approach a win.

I've yet to get any kind of environment setup to roll my own release and I
would prefer not to have that overhead just to test the upgrade and make
improvements to the docs.

Does Jenkins have current {stable} artifacts that can be used to install 4.2.1
and test with for upgrades?

Travis