Hello,

>From the follow-up posts on this discussion, I can see that many concerns
have been resolved. So I'll merely answer the open points Frank had.

2013/12/3 Frank Zhang <frank.zh...@citrix.com>

> [...]
> for me and
> > for Data Geekery. Let me try to address your concerns by first
> categorising
> > them into the following items (please correct me if I might have
> > misunderstood).
> >
> > - A concern about Spring support.
> > - A concern about standards (JPA)
> > - A concern about CRUD verbosity
> > - A concern about fluent APIs vs. SQL
> > - A concern about fluent APIs vs. custom query building APIs
>
> Your explanation frees my concerns from last three items. I don't
> carefully read
> entire JOOQ document and I think most people won't when they try to get
> an overall picture of a new project.
>
> So if we can highlight these items(especially CRUD verbosity and custom
> query builder)
> somewhere, it would be more appealing to developers who have JPA/Hibernate
> background.
>

> > Spring support
> > ===========
> > It is true that we cannot offer you a "formal" affiliation with Spring
> (or rather
> > with Oliver Gierke, the lead developer behind Spring Data). I have been
> > observing this collaboration between Spring Data and QueryDSL and I feel
> that
> > it is a strategic alliance that mutually benefits both vendors.
> > QueryDSL gets some more traction by being auto-shipped to a much broader
> > audience, whereas Spring Data gets a fluent API for both JPA and SQL.
> >
> > From our perspective, we want jOOQ to be entirely independent of any
> > transaction and connection pooling API as this facilitates integration
> with JTA
> > transaction modelling and other models. We believe that by keeping things
> > simple and by separating concerns, you will get a stack that is better
> focused on
> > your individual needs. In that way, we believe that you should be able to
> > combine Spring IOC with jOOQ just as much as with JEE components.
> >
> > Most importantly, Spring Data, much like JDO in the past and like
> QueryDSL
> > today aim for integrating NoSQL databases into a unified API, which we
> find a
> > poor fit, as transaction models, data models, query models are
> fundamentally
> > different between these various data stores. We believe that by pursuing
> such
> > unification, frameworks are easily distracted from sound SQL support. We
> > highly value Spring's transaction model simplification and this has
> worked well
> > with jOOQ in the past.
>
> My whole point here is about declarative transaction management which is
> the
> most compelling part of Spring Data(from Spring's own words). Just did more
> research that JOOQ is a DB access layer it won't involve in any transaction
> management stuff. If my understanding is correct, it should automatically

Yes, people on the jOOQ User Group have experienced this particular
integration to be very easy thanks to Spring TX's versatility.

> No matter the answer, JOOQ should give the best practice in document,
> searching chapter names in http://www.jooq.org/doc/3.2/manual/
> returns nothing about transaction and I have seen people asking
> similar question on Stack Overflow. I saw your answer too :)

Yes, that is true. We're working on better documentation and examples in
that area.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15159842/how-to-start-transaction-and-rollback-with-jooq

> it's very true that we can draw a clear boundary between DB access layer
> and
> transaction management, but for most of time users don't care about this
> because
> they are searching an entire solution for DB. Even if JOOQ developers know
> transaction management is not focus of this project, they still need to
> tell their users
> the best way to go instead of letting user figure out it themselves.

This is not what we have experienced. It is true that complete default
behaviours are desireable to decrease the initial learning curve.

But from our experience, things like transaction management are so complex
and uniquely tied to the target architecture that imposing a transaction
model would be a bad idea. Hibernate's session management for instance may
easily leak out from your data access layer into your business (or even UI)
logic.

>From what I've read on this thread, many people appreciate Apache
CloudStack's current transaction model, wanting to replace only the
querying. In that sense, jOOQ not imposing a transaction model could be
seen as a good thing.

> I don't think JOOQ has to integrate with SpringDB like QueryDSL does, for
> example,
> having a JOOQTemplate. But I do think integrating with Spring TX is
> important
> given it's popularity.

Yes, absolutely.

Best Regards,