I can see the problem is in HostMO.getLocalDatastoreOnHost.

My datastore (as well as the NFS datastore that was automatically created
to download an ISO) shows up as DatastoreSummary.isMultipleHostAccess ==
false (along with a couple other fields) and this qualifies it as "local"
storage.

I believe I've never seen this before because vCenter Server probably
changes DatastoreSummary.isMultipleHostAccess to true when you have more
than one host in the cluster that can access the datastore (I usually have
more than one host in a VMware cluster, but don't right now).

It seems DatastoreSummary.isMultipleHostAccess is not sufficient to use to
declare if something is local storage.