Oh, and to clarify, my first e-mail about this where I showed some diff
output was literally what Git gave me (I didn't modify it at all). It is an
example of where Git was asking me to manually intervene in a situation
where only a new line was added between two statements. Seems weird that it
wouldn't have auto merged that.