I would also agree that user/account/domain access to this data via api
would be welcome. Requiring that the request originate from the VM requires
going to every VM to pull that data. With some of the setups I have seen to
drive puppet from this data, a simple util could query for all VMs that
they manage and display that to an account user to see what data is being
sent to the VM. Beyond that, I always like to accompany a set operation
with a get operation simply to not limit users later for situations I
haven't thought about yet.

I also don't see any obvious security issues since the api to set is right
there as well. That seems far more dangerous to me.