I started posting my initial comments in JIRA and was advised
dev@cloudstack.apache.org is the place to post/ask/communicate.

Here is a set of threads which, from this time on, will be continued on
this mailing list:

>From JIRA:

Karl
Harris<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=karl.harris>
added
a comment - 31/Dec/13 15:47 - edited

My colleagues and I have been tasked by our company, Sungard, to implement
and test the functionality of this JIRA.

We have done some preliminary work and I will outline what we've found and
several questions we have.

We will certainly have more questions/comments, but this is a good start.

Please comment, correct or add to the statements and questions below:

We have referenced:

   1.

http://blogs.clogeny.com/understanding-the-redundant-virtual-router-in-citrix-cloudplatform
   2. Cloudstack function spec for RvR

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Reundant+Virtual+Router+Functional+Spec
   .
   3. Cloudstack function spec for new VPC features

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/nTier+Apps+2.0+Functional+Spec
   .
   4. Implemented code for RvR in VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl, as
   well as redundant_router directory of systemvm and in cloud-early-setup.

What we know:

   1. Redundant Virtual Routers (RvR's) are used in CloudStack public
   clouds per item 4 above.
   2. The public RvRs are provisioned with the templates contained in
   redundant_router directory of systemvm.
   3. Keepalived and Conntrackd do most of the "heavy lifting" monitoring
   and transitioning the current RvR's in public clouds.
   4. Keepalived and Contrackd are setup with templates by systemvm.
   5. The setup_router script calls the setup_redundant_router to provision
   a redundant router pair for a vm.
   6. We will need to confirm each router of a redundant pair is
   provisioned under a separate Hypervisor to allow for no single point of
   failure.

Questions:

   1. Are there any other references which might be helpful?
   2. It seems the VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl and associated
   classes should be useable for vpcRvR's are there any gotcha's we should
   know about when using this class hierarchy ?
   3. Are there any other single points of failure other than the unique
   Hypervisor mentioned above?
   4. Can setting up a redundant router pair for a vpc be done by simply
   adding a call to setup_redundant_router script in the setup_vpcrouter
   routine for each vpcRouter marked as redundant?

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764#>
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764?focusedCommentId=13861692&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13861692>
Karl
Harris<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=karl.harris>
added
a comment - 03/Jan/14 17:29

Another question:

After re-reading:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html/Admin_Guide/about-zones.html
I have a question about the VPC redundant routers.

Should the Vpc RvR's take into account Zones with respect to not allowing a
redundant router pair to be in the same zone?

The description:
A zone typically corresponds to a single datacenter, although it is
permissible to have multiple zones in a datacenter. The benefit of
organizing infrastructure into zones is to provide physical isolation and
redundancy. For example, each zone can have its own power supply and
network uplink, and the zones can be widely separated geographically
(though this is not required).

seems to suggest router pairs should be in different zones.

Comments?
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764#>
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764?focusedCommentId=13862885&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13862885>
Daan Hoogland<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dahn>
added
a comment - 06/Jan/14 09:56

The zone is one way of separating the instances of a rvr. Could in some
use-cases a different cluster/pod/host be enough, maybe?
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764#>
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764?focusedCommentId=13862893&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13862893>
Daan Hoogland<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dahn>
added
a comment - 06/Jan/14 10:04

Making sure that a redundant pair is at two different locations could be
done by giving it two system offerings. Not sure if this goes against the
present paradigm (for rvr or offerings)
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764#>
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-764?focusedCommentId=13862897&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13862897>
Daan Hoogland<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dahn>
added
a comment - 06/Jan/14 10:10
To be able to predict the assignment of interfaces a private gateway
interface must be reserved on the router-vm, even when not used--

Some "offline" email exchanges will follow under a separate email see
subject line 2 of 2.

Thanks for your patience.

Karl

Karl O. Harris