SAML 2.0 is not precluded with this design, it seems.
I found the FS both confusing and illuminating. I think what confuses me
is the interchange of 'acl', 'iam' and 'policy'.
Especially since ACL is used in the networking context.

IMO, renaming the tables and APIs to not use ACL but IAM would clarify
matters.
For example:
Tables: iam_policy, iam_policy_permission, iam_group
API: createIAMGroup createIAMPolicy createIAMPermission
addIAMPermissionToAclPolicy attachPolicyToIAMGroup addAccountToIAMGroup
(or better, house the api under the client/iam/?command= sub-url)
Annotation: @IamPolicyCheck

Also, there is no reference to what one would normally find in an IAM user
guide: Principal, Role, etc.
Am I right in assuming that Account is the Principal here? Are there
roles, or even a default role?

What is envisioned for Phase 2, 3Š

Ideally, this is a separate service that can be enhanced by 3rd parties.
As an example, I want to provide my DBaaS service on an ACS-powered cloud.
I want to utilize the same Principals (and IAM infrastructure) rather than
provide my own.

--
Chiradeep