Alex,

The UI team were looking to simplify the CSS by moving to SASS, the
discussion can be seen over here:
http://markmail.org/thread/iovlfytsgb5bmurw

I suggested using grunt to manage the compiling of the SASS and also to
introduce minification of scripts, css etc. However, I have no idea if
there has been movement on this.

I have attached Brian on this email he should be able to inform us what the
outcome of that discussion was and what the future plans for the UI are.

Personally I'd love to see a reduction in the size of it. The initial load
of the web-ui is very long due to the 4.8mb load, I'm always wondering when
I load it up for the first time "is this going to work, isn't it". There
was mention of a gzip patch the other day to reduce this as well.
https://reviews.apache.org/r/12228/

Regards,

Ian