Didn't come across any issues when trying to compile it.

Did a usual full compile of mvn -Pdeveloper clean install
Documentation was generated and placed into
/tools/apidoc/target/apidoc.tar.bz2

http://people.apache.org/~duffy/apidocs/xmldoc/html/

The header reads 4.2.0 due to a hard coded value in the templates.