I don't think this should be tied to the template, but rather the
instance/disk. A template could of course specify it's preferred controller.

I don't have a use case for it, but you could potentially want to use
different controllers for different disks. E.g. your ROOT-volume might be
on a high end SAN you want to utilize with PV-driver, whilst your
DATA-volume might be on an old NFS solution where you'll live fine with the
SAS or Parallel driver.

However, for the first release the most important part is that a selection
gets introduced.
Currently you cannot install Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012 R2 on VMware with
CloudStack, which is a showstopper for many (for us - so much that we
changed hypervisor).

--
Erik