On 02/20/2014 02:37 PM, David Nalley wrote:
Hi folks,

I cringe to raise this issue. After 6 RCs I am sure we are all feeling
a little bit of release vote fatigue. Especially Animesh. I apologize
in advance; in all other respects I am ready to give a +1 to RC6.

My apologies, I didn't find the time to play with 4.3 at all.

I've been playing with 4.3.0-rc6 for a couple of days now. I attempted
to build some RPMs and had problems with dependency resolution in
maven. This led me to looking at a number of different poms, and I
noticed mysql-connector-java is listed as a runtime dependency. For
our end users, this really isn't necessary - the debs and rpms specify
a requirement (effectively a system requirement in the terms of
policy) for mysql-connector-java. We don't need it to build the
software (at least not in any location I've seen) - just when running.
(And thus its a system dependency, much like MySQL is.)

mysql-connector-java is GPLv2; which is Cat X. By including it as a
dependency in the pom it automatically gets downloaded. The 3rd Party
software policy has this line in it:

"YOU MUST NOT distribute build scripts or documentation within an
Apache product with the purpose of causing the default/standard build
of an Apache product to include any part of aprohibited work."

We've released software with this dependency previously. Is this a
blocker for 4.3 or do we fix going forward? (If we hadn't already
shipped releases with this problem I'd lean a bit more towards it
being a blocker - but its more murky now.)

Thoughts, comments, flames?

I'd say we are OK for now with this. We know it's a problem and it can be fixed in the next release imho.

Wido

--David

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html