Well, if I remember right, what was discontinued was the XCP O.S. version
(If I can call it that way.). I remember that when we were going to install
XCP, there was the possibility to download an ISO that contained the Xen
hypervisor and XCP installed over some O.S. (Debian). We were going to use
that installation method. However, there was a warning saying that the O.S.
version of XCP would not be maintained anymore (just the packages would be,
you can check on XCP project it is still active. And the project is not
anymore called XCP, but rather to avoid misleading and confusion it is now
called XAPI.) and that we should pick the O.S. we like and install over it
the Xen hypervisor and XCP packages. So, that is what we did. Therefore, by
experience I can tell you that, Ubuntu was not the best choice, to many
work arounds to make, to many bugs. We are right now, migrating all of the
hosts O.S. to Debian 7-4.0. I would suggest you to do the same.

About the features, I did not notice any difference. Actually, I have never
ever looked into the Xenserver (for me it was a paid version of Xen
hypervisor, which is not the same as Xenserver, with XAPI project over it
plus some sort of support). All I can tell you is that the Cloud we built  is
working nice and shiny.
What features are important for you?

--
Rafael Weingärtner