Daan - Thanks for your comment. The java upgrade code has never been data
migration code only.
I have always seen complex DDL logic being handled by java upgrade code
because we can write complex logic and catch exceptions gracefully. As you
see from the links below - add column if it doesn't exist logic is not
trivial and hence its been added in java upgrade path. I have infact
borrowed the logic from upgrade410-420 java code. Therefore, you can't
figure out the schema through the schema sql files.

Thanks,
-Nitin