Ove, to be sure I got you: Does your script need to have the branch
checked out when building a version by tag or commit-id or does it
checkout the version and then build it?

The commit id is not on the branch 4.4 but on a branch of that called
4.4-RC<ccyymmdd>T<hhMM>

But I noticed that you are right, the pom for checkstyle is not edited
in the release.

--
Daan