Tomasz,

I can only fantasize on the full rationale of the implementation of
the retry but in general it makes sense to me. A job has a time to try
and a times tried field. the worker manager has time to sleep and max
retries. As you can see below these are read from the configuration:

        value = params.get("time.to.sleep");
        _timeToSleep = NumbersUtil.parseInt(value, 60) * 1000;

        value = params.get("max.retries");
        _maxRetries = NumbersUtil.parseInt(value, 5);

there is also

        value = params.get("stop.retry.interval");
        _stopRetryInterval = NumbersUtil.parseInt(value, 10 * 60);

The time.to.sleep and stop.retry.interval seem to jointly explain the
ten minute scenario you described in the bug report. They don't do
completely as some of the handling of the values is based on
bitshifting and not on datetime calculus (using mixed factors of
1000,60,60,24 and 365.25)
You can try and play with those to tune your setting. In any case
looking at the vm to decide to restart the vm is not usefull as
Cloudstack will do some cleanup after stopping the instance. You
should really wait untill cloudstack reports on the job with either
succes or error.

--
Daan