On Jul 23, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Sam Schmit <sam.sch...@appcore.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I've been a developer for a handful of years and have had my share of
> experience with different version control systems.  I've used (for better
> or worse) Git, Perforce, Rational ClearCast, and SVN.
>
> Each of these solutions offers their own unique set of features, strengths
> and weaknesses.  As there are so many systems that are good at specific
> things, it seems best to use the features that the chosen system is best at.
>
> Git is great at branching, merging and using that structure to maintain and
> control how changes get into the primary branches.  Git tools even make
> this easy by integrating directly into the "Gitflow" to make branching and
> merging that much easier.  It would seem counter-intuitive to NOT make use
> of these built-in capabilities.
>
> In addition to that, I know that the current method of change management is
> incredibly frustrating to work with, and works directly against the way a
> typical Git user would expect it to be structured.  I should NEVER have
> problem compiling and running something on master.  I should not have
> problems building anything on a release branch.  A feature/bugfix branch is
> where things can be, and often are, broken or unstable.  There have been
> many times working in Cloudstack where I've had to search for a stable
> revision on master, and that's just plain wrong.
>
> I do realize that having this many developers working on so many features
> and bugfixes will result in a large number of branches.  I don't believe
> this is a good argument against using a branching method, though - I
> believe that the current system is even more confusing and difficult to use.
>
> I could pontificate on change management quite a bit more, but my opinion
> in summary would basically be:  use Git the way it was meant to be used,
> and things will be better.  Just my two cents.
>
> Sam

Sam, I think we are in agreement (at least with folks who responded to this
thread).
Or maybe I am not reading your mail right and you don't agree with Leo ?

My own take and reason for calling for a change we are currently doing things
is mostly due to the way we release.

I would like to see a stable master (and I think we are in agreement with that).
That means that development should not happen on master and that every commit
that lands on master should be shippable.

I personally have no issues with cherry-picking. So I would be fine cherry
picking from a hot-fix branch into master, to fix a bug.
The end result is that the next commit on master would still mean master is
shippable/releasable.

If we agree with this basic concept. The question becomes how do we get there,
considering that master is now full of dev work and potential bug.
The only releasable product we have are on the 4.3, 4.4 and previous release
branches.

Ideally, I would like to see master becomes 4.4. And work our way back, merging
the new features that are already in master into the new master (based on 4.4).
This could be quite complicated but we need to do it (or something like it).

To move forward, we should make a proposal to the list and call for a vote.

Any takers to start a wiki page proposing a new git process and how we could
move to it (transition path) ?

-Sebastien