My understanding is - we should always merge the fixes to both *develop
and *master branches. Merging to develop branch should be mandatory as
that’s the place where automatic nightly builds + the regression tests are
run against. That’s what the article from Daan’s email says:

Master branch: "We consider origin/master to be the main branch where the
source code of HEAD always reflects aproduction-ready state.”

Develop branch: "We consider origin/develop to be the main branch where
the source code of HEAD always reflects a state with the latest delivered
development changes for the next release. Some would call this the
“integration branch”. This is where any automatic nightly builds are built
from. When the source code in the develop branch reaches a stable point
and is ready to be released, all of the changes should be merged back into
master"

Only if the tests pass on *develop branch, the changes get merged to
master branch.

Daan, please confirm if that’s how we are planning to operate. This thread
also brings another question: are we going to run automation/CI against
both *develop/*master branches? On *develop to ensure that the branch is
ready to be merged to master. And on *master to ensure that the code is
production ready. And if we are planning to run it on both branches, how
often should we do it on one vs another?

-Alena.