+1

On CI, I think it should run on any branch that wants to maintain quality.
So master, develop, releases, hotfixes, and support. It would be awesome if
I could elect to have my random other branches run CI as well, but my guess
is that we would need more hardware to pull that off. Hopefully I'll have
some extra hardware to donate to the cause in the next few months, but need
to get everything currently on it moved somewhere else first.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> On 01-Aug-2014, at 1:40 am, Alena Prokharchyk <
> alena.prokharc...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you, Rohit. Couple more things we have to clarify in the wiki. The
> > doc says "Developer should run the BVT on the simulator before doing a
> > checkin², but it doesn¹t mention anything about the CI. So here are my
> > questions:
> >
> > 1) CI execution
> >
> > * on which branches we are planning to run the CI
> > * with what frequency
>
> Automated systems will be there for main branches such as develop, master,
> release etc.
>
> The frequency would vary, the best I’m able to get on my local lab is 50
> mins per BVT run (advanced).
>
> For feature, bug fix, developer’s personal branches developers can setup a
> CI with Travis, Azure (Edison says free subscription is available), AWS
> (free-tier) etc. at least say once a day run the BVTs on their
> laptop/desktop before pushing the code to their remote branch.
>

> > 2) Reverting the fixes breaking the CI - are we planning to do it? If so,
> > would it be done automatically after CI run, or developer should do it
> > himself?
>
> I think a human should do it.
> In the past we’ve seen developer revert breaking commit(s) and reaching
> out to the author/community about it.
>
> Regards.
>

> > -Alena.
> >
> > On 7/31/14, 4:28 PM, "Rohit Yadav" <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Comments in-line;

> >> As per nvie;
> >>
> >> once cut out release branches should only have bugfixes. So, bugfixes
> can
> >> directly land on release branch and then cherry-picked or merge to the
> >> develop branch.
> >>
> >> For bugs on develop branch, the commits can land directly on the develop
> >> branch or can be worked in a branch checked out from develop and when
> >> done merged back.
> >>
> >> In my opinion, for any case developers should not work on any of the
> >> branches (master, release, develop) directly but checkout branch and
> work
> >> on it and merge back (or cherry-pick or squash merge) to respective
> >> branch only when their work is complete, with unit tests and validated
> >> using unit testing and smoke tests (BVT).

> >> What you suggest is fine. I think couple of areas which can qualify for
> >> bugfixes (hotfixes) would be related to security, database changes,
> >> systemvms, agent, hypervisor, network, storage, anything that could be
> >> considered a blocker.
> >>
> >> I¹m not sure but I think adopting nvie could possibly affect our release
> >> process, I would let PMC and experienced RMs to comment on this issue
> and
> >> if they would like any modifications to the release process?
> >>
> >> On twitter I asked @nvie if he would have any change in the nvie model,
> >> he has a short reply:
> >> https://twitter.com/nvie/status/494870892917563393

> [...]

*Nate Gordon*Director of Technology | Appcore - the business of cloud
computing®

Office +1.800.735.7104  |  Direct +1.515.612.7787
nate.gor...@appcore.com  |  www.appcore.com

The information in this message is intended for the named recipients only.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, do not print it or
disseminate it or its contents. In such event, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete the e-mail file immediately thereafter. Thank you.