+0  only because of the issues in the release notes, a clean install and an
upgrade from 4.3.1 went OK, but only because I know how to do it, it would not
work if I followed the release notes.  The Router Upgrade notification elements
in the UI, introduced in 4.3 are also broken (this should possibly be a -1 as
it could result in installs running with the wrong version of the VRs without
realising)

Notes:

2x XenServer 6.2 in a single Cluster
NFS Primary Storage x2
System VM Template from
http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/4.4/job/cloudstack-4.4-systemvm64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/tools/appliance/dist/systemvm64template-4.4-2014-09-30-xen.vhd.bz2
Clean install of 4.4.1 to single management server on CentOS 6.5 with MySQL
installed locally
Created new Zone, POD, Cluster, Sec Storage, Hosts, Pri Storage all via API
Updated Various Global Settings via API
Created Domains and Accounts via API
Deployed VMs for user account as Root and configured network Egress rules via
API
Deployed VM as root via UI
Live Migrated VMs between Hosts
Offline Migrated (VM stopped) Root Volume between Pri Storage via UI -
cloudstack service crashed! (Install is running inside VirtualBox and
Management VM is also NFS Server so added more RAM and tried again) - repeated
test after a manual clean up and it was successful
Live Migrated (VM running) Root Volume between Pri Storage via UI
Disabled / Re-enabled Host
Adding / removing NICs and changing default etc via UI
Deployed new VPC, with two tiers, added VM to each tier, setup ACLs etc via API

Then I did an upgrade test of a 4.3.1 system using the latest system VM
template from Jenkins (this system was originally built on 4.3.0 and upgraded
to 4.3.1, before being upgraded to 4.4.1)
New System VM template installed OK

The steps in the release notes about downloading vhd-utils for XenServer are
misleading.  If you blindly follow the steps the simply end up with a 2nd copy
'vhd-utils.1' as this is an upgrade and you will already have vhd-utils on the
management server, at least if upgrading from a recent release such as 4.3.x.

If vhd-utils needs replacing we need to be specific about removing the old one.
 I don’t think it actually needs replacing, it's just in a different location
to older installs, but the 4.3 upgrade guide still has this step in it. (I
can't remember which release changed the location)

The MySQL Statements for the manual upgrade of the template are also incorrect
as they do not include the DB name so fail

e.g.
select id,name from vm_template where name = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4';

should be
select id,name from cloud.vm_template where name = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4';

The same with the following commands

update vm_template set type='SYSTEM' where id='<ID FROM COMMAND #1>';
update vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where
type='ConsoleProxy' and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where
type='SecondaryStorageVm' and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update configuration set value = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4' where name =
'router.template.xen';

should be

update cloud.vm_template set type='SYSTEM' where id='<ID FROM COMMAND #1>';
update cloud.vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where
type='ConsoleProxy' and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update cloud.vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where
type='SecondaryStorageVm' and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update cloud.configuration set value = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4' where name =
'router.template.xen';

However I did not need to do this as the cloud.vm_instance table and
cloud.configuration table had automatically been updated to the correct values,
so are these steps actually necessary?

4.3 introduced the ability to manage the restart of VRs via the UI, but after
upgrading to 4.4.1 the UI lists all VRs as NOT requiring upgrade, even though
they have not been upgraded yet and are clearly shown as still be at version 4.3

I could fix the release notes issues, but there may be good reasons why they
are how they are that I am not aware of, so just wanted to highlight them for
now.  I have only tested the XenServer upgrade steps and only from 4.3 so there
may be similar errors in other sections.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com