I dont like the idea of release manager cherry-picking/backporting the
fixes to the release branches.

As a community we are supporting past two releases. ie) at this point we
have to support 4.3 and 4.4
As a developer/contributor, if I feel a bug is relevant for 4.3 I should be
committing it to all the 4.3+ releases. Otherwise it would be a nightmare
for people trying to upgrade later.
If and when a release is required, we should release from that branch.

~Rajani