> On Dec 8, 2014, at 8:10 AM, Tim Mackey <tmac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been working through a series of issues getting Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> templates to provision correctly, and I *think* most are really doc issues,
> but before I run off and update docs I wanted to confirm that I'm doing the
> right thing.  Here's my list of issues, and what I did to get past my
> "issue".  My documentation source is:
> http://cloudstack-administration.readthedocs.org/en/latest/templates.html.
> My CloudStack is 4.4.
>
> 1. The docs make no mention of an Ubuntu change password script, and Google
> returns Shankar's GitHub scripts as option #4.  Unfortunately, that script
> has a user of "ubuntu" hardcoded into it, so unless your template has an
> "ubuntu" user, its not going to work.  I haven't tried to use the stock
> CloudStack password change script in my template, but have found references
> to it not working as expected.  For my purposes, I changed Shankar's script
> to use a "root" user, but this leaves the following questions open:
>
> - Does the current CloudStack script work with Ubuntu 12.04 and later?  If
> so, I vote the docs be updated to reflect support for Ubuntu 12.04 and later;
> with the objective of both clarifying the docs and helping boost our docs to
> a higher rank than Shankar's GitHub.

See [1]. It should work with 12.04LTS.

> - If the current CloudStack script doesn't work with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, should
> a JIRA ticket be entered to resolve this, or should we have multiple scripts
> available and effectively incorporate Shankar's work more officially?
>
> 2. The docs recommend setting the password to expire, but when the change
> password script runs, that flag is cleared and the user isn't promoted to
> reset the root password.  That leaves the following question in my mind.
>
> - Is our password intended to be a one-time use password.  If so, then the
> password change script should reset expiration forcing a new one to be set.
> If not, then should we not remove the "expire password" recommendation from
> the docs?

Some providers and cloud mgmt platforms keep a copy of the “current” root
password as set by the reset script. That type of functionality is why there’s
probably no “expire” in the change passed script. I think you confusion is
coming from the template section is not closely tied to the password management
section - if one is making templates, they should reset the password so first
login requires new password. This saves us from having thousands of VMs on the
Internet with a default password. If a shop is making templates, and using
password management - the password should be generated at VM creation and
shouldn’t be an issue.

Either way - you really shouldn’t be logging into systems (VMs or physical) as
root on a regular basis.

> 3. The script in the docs covering clearing the logs (step 6) doesn't include
> clearing syslog.  Recommend updating the script to include:  cat /dev/null >
> /var/log/syslog 2>/dev/null
>
> 4. The script in the docs covering clearing of command history (step 9)
> doesn't clear the in memory history.  Recommend updating the script to
> become:  cat /dev/null > ~/.bash_history && history -c && unset HISTFILE &&
> halt -p.  This would also remove the the shutdown step (step 10).

Good points, although I’m not sure if “halt” is as safe as shutdown...

> 5. The script to set the hostname has a race condition which effectively
> means it rarely sets the hostname correctly on initial boot.  I've attached
> the script I used.  It doesn't depend upon the leases file being present, and
> took care of some alternate "blank" hostname cases I encountered while
> debugging.

Unfortunately ASF lists strip out attachments.

> I'm happy to update the docs, but want to make certain what I've encountered
> as issues are things we care about updating.

Would love to have your changes. At the minimum, please create Jira tickets,
but if/where possible we’d happily take either submitted code review requests
or pull requests on github.

John

1:
http://cloudstack-administration.readthedocs.org/en/latest/templates.html#adding-password-management-to-your-templates