For example:

You want to create a volume based on snapshot S1.

Snapshot S1 was created from volume V1.

Volume V1 was associated disk offering DO1.

Disk offering DO1 had the storage tags filled out as such: ST1, STA

Now, when we go to create a new volume (based on S1), it looks like
CloudStack's main goal is to find a storage pool (in the applicable zone)
that has (in this example) ST1 and STA in its list of storage tags (also,
the storage type (local or shared) has to match). Such primary storage is a
candidate for this new volume.

Does anyone know if this is a reasonable interpretation?

I noticed one time when I ran this with a snapshot that was created from a
volume on local storage that the new volume was placed on different local
storage (and one time it was placed on the same primary storage). Storage
tagging was not being used, but the storage type (of local) directed this
placement. This would be consistent with what I said above.

Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Mike Tutkowski <
mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on adding in zone-wide support for managed (primary) storage
> with regards to the "create volume from snapshot" feature that CloudStack
> has.
>
> It appears that the current intent of this feature is to create a volume
> (based on a given snapshot) on some primary storage that conforms to the
> storage tagging (if any) of the offering the snapshot's original volume was
> associated with.
>
> Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --