From: John Kinsella [mailto:j...@stratosec.co]
Sent: 29 January 2015 18:06
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] we need a better SSVM solution

Interesting…

Concur on having an open/standardized protocol. Something clustered like
Serf/Consul could be attractive, but the overhead/requirements of those type of
things usually scares me away.

Having ACS act as a CA would be quite interesting for some things. It’s one of
the reasons I’ve pondered a “hook” in the past to notify 3rd party upon VM
creation/deletion/etc. Wonder if we could take advantage of dogtag or similar.
All that said - setup/management of a CA is a PIA and probably outside scope of
ACS, unless you did a “light” one similar to Puppet by default...

An aside on that “hook” idea - something scriptable similar to (I said “similar
to," no flames!) systemd for this could be interesting.

A good portion of users would resist having an agent installed on the user VM,
but I guess we’re in that position already, and they just wouldn’t get the
added functionality.

One user experience point: Almost every time Parallels comes out with a new
version, I have to update their agent on my VMs, which on the Windows side
means a reboot. That gets old, and I’ve only got a handful of win VMs there...

Going to see if I can puppet-ize one of the SSVMs over the weekend to see what
other thoughts come up.

John

> [...]
>> (CM) system such as Puppet, Chef, Salt-Stack or whatever else floats
>> people’s boat.
>>
>> One possible use case:
>> * User installs new ACS system.
>> * User logs into mgmt server, goes to Templates area, clicks button to fetch
>> default SSVM image. UI allows providing alternative URL, other options as
>> needed.
>> * (time passes)
>> * Security issue is announced. User goes back into Templates area, selects
>> SSVM template, clicks “Download updated template” and it does. Under
>> infrastructure/system VMs and infrastrucutre/virtual routers, there’s
>> buttons to update one or more running instances to use the new template
>>
>> Another possible use case:
>> * User installs new ACS system
>> * User uploads SSVM template that has CM agent configured to talk to their
>> CM server (I’ve been wanting to lab this for a while now)
>> * As ACS creates system VMs, they phone home to CM server, it provides them
>> with instructions to install various packages and config as needed to be
>> domr/console proxy/whatever. We provide basic “recipes” for CM systems for
>> people to use and grow from.
>> * Security issue is announced. User updates recipe in CM system, a few
>> minutes later the SSVMs are up-to-date.
>>
>> Modification on that use case: We ship the SSVM with puppet/chef/blah
>> installed, part of the SSVM “patch” process configures appropriate CM system.
>>
>> What might make the second use case easier would be to have some hooks in
>> ACS that when a system is created/destroyed/modified, it informs 3rd party
>> via API.
>>
>> (Obviously API calls for all of the above to allow process without touching
>> the UI)
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> John
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com

> CloudStack Software
> Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
> CloudStack Infrastructure
> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training
> Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

> intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
> its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
> believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
> incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
> incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd.
> Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is
> operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
> registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from
> Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

CloudStack Software