Today during the CloudStackdays  we did a round table about Release
management targeting the next 4.6 releases.

Quick bullet point discussions:

ideas to change release planning

   - Plugin contribution is complicated because often  a new plugin involve
   change on the core:
      - ex: storage plugin involve changes on Hypervisor code
   - There is an idea of going on a 2 weeks release model which could
   introduce issue the database schema.
   - Database schema version should be different then the application
   version.
   - There is a will to enforce git workflow in 4.6  and trigger simulator
   job on  PullRequest.
   - Some people (I'm part of them) are concerned on our current way of
   supporting and back porting fixes to multiple release (4.3.x, 4.4.x,
   4.5.x). But the current level of confidence against latest release is low,
   so that need to be improved.

So, the main messages is that w'd like to improve the release velocity, and
release branch stability.  so we would like to propose few change in the
way we would add code to the 4.6 branch as follow:

- All new contribution to 4.6 would be thru Pull Request or merge request,
which would trigger a simulator job, ideally only if that pass the PR would
be accepted and automatically merged.  At this time, I think we pretty much
have everything in place to do that. At a first step we would use
simulator+marvin jobs then improve tests coverage from there.

Please comments :-)